Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Meet the Youth Track: Nidia L. Escobar

My name is Nidia L. Escobar and I am from Los Angeles, CA. I am currently attending Pasadena City College and my intended major is Health Education. I first got involved with SBHC’s back in 2005 when I was a sophomore in high school. The reason why I was so drawn to volunteer for my high school's health center was because I thought they were addressing an important issue. Most people in my community do not really talk about certain issues, like teen pregnancy or nutrition or physical activity, so I felt it was very important for the health center to do so. What kept me involved for the following three years was the hard dedication of the health centers staff, and how much love they put into their work. Their enthusiasm in their work rubbed off on me. I then started to feel that it was so important for youth, like myself, to be involved in educating my peers and people living in my community. From that period in my life I knew what kind of career I wanted. I want to motivate young people to get involved in whatever issues might be important because a lot of issues effecting youth are made by adults without any youth input.

No comments:

Post a Comment