Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Meet the Social Media Fellows: Linda Lam

Hello! My name is Linda Lam and I am one of the 2011 NASBHC Convention Social Media Fellows! I work for Asian Pacific Heath Care Venture (APHCV) in Los Angeles where I am the Clinic Coordinator of the John Marshall High School Health Center. What gave me a solid foundation of using media in community work was the team service project I was involved with through my Public Allies Los Angeles fellowship in 2005. My team service project, called Unearth Media, taught young people about media literacy and how to create their own media (digital storytelling- pictures/videos set to a narrative) to tell their own stories that are often not covered by mainstream media. Since then at APHCV, I’ve used myspace, e-newsletters, facebook, and our website to promote and create an online community where teens have another avenue to gain access to health and youth development services. Currently at JMHS Heath Center, the Student Advisory Board members are using social media as a part of the MO project with CANFIT and California School Heath Centers Association to organize an online video contest about healthy eating and physical fitness.

I am excited to be one of the Social Media Fellows because I look forward to involving all of us (at home or at the convention) in activities where we can effectively use social media to help support and promote the work at school-based heath centers. Hopefully we can then bring those strategies back to our own organization! The potential of social media as a tool to support and streamline the work we do at school-based health centers is limitless. Being a Social Media Fellow encourages me to take more steps to strengthen my own organization’s use of social media to help students gain access to health information and services.

I look forward to meeting all of you and encouraging all of us to share our stories and best practices to build this school health care movement!

Linda Lam
School Based Health Program Coordinator
Asian Pacific Health Care Venture, Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment