Thursday, June 16, 2011

Meet the Social Media Fellows: Parrish Ravelli

Hello NASBHC Supporters and Advocates!


I wanted to write this blog post talking about how I've used social media and online organizing strategies for advocacy and activism, in the past, in a way that would really reflect my experience. I also wanted to do it in a way that fit within the confines of "effective" social messaging. You know what I'm saying...140 characters or less! A little factual information, mixed with some thought provoking ideas, maybe topped with what I may or may not have had for lunch today, and wrapped up with a quick convenient call to action.

I thought a while about it. Should I write about some of the online advocacy campaigns I've been a part of...like the Facebook Olympics recruitment campaign with the North Carolina Teen Health Alliance, that helped drive over 500 new followers to our pages during a two week period...it's definitely something that is easily replicable. Maybe highlight some of the quick petitioning campaigns where we have gotten hundreds of signatures in just hours. Our Action Now team actually won the SmartOn Mobile App Contest!

I thought about even writing about this crazy theory I have about social media and advocacy and how it resembles the ripples on a lake when it rains. That moving messages across a platform involves quality as much as quantity, well that and location, location, location. But I find when I talk about this I usually end up confusing myself.

Maybe it would help to know more about me as person, that I had a fantastic shrimp taco for lunch today from local restaurant in Durham.

So here goes my best shot:

Empowered young people are the social network. The internet is just the platform. #actionnow #northcarolinateenhealthalliance

Please share.

Parrish Ravelli
Youth Empowerment Solutions (YES!)
Parrish@youthempoweredsolutions.org

No comments:

Post a Comment