Thursday, June 16, 2011

Meet the Youth Track: Becky Lee

As a third year UC Berkeley student, I am studying Public Health and Public Policy. My six-year involvement with SBHC policy and advocacy influenced my academic path and life goal to serve low-income communities. Even after graduating from high school three years ago, my school-based health center remains one of the most powerful forces in my life.While in high school, I tirelessly devoted my time advocating comprehensive health education and promoting the John Marshall Health Center. Partaking in the clinic’s student advisory board and Policy Leadership Program allowed me to remind Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger of his promise to open 500 school clinics with hundreds of signature-filled pages from our petition campaign. Currently as a youth board member of the California School Health Centers Association, I have the opportunity to train and work with high school youth to become political activists for health reform. Successful moments like these enticed me to study Public Health at the collegiate level and continue to contribute to my community.

No comments:

Post a Comment